Saturday, December 19, 2015

Dobie and Me: Chapter 2

(To read Chapter 1, click here)

To make up for it, I took him out for a walk. It was late, almost 11. I let him lose, since the traffic was less. The joy he felt as he bounded down the road was a treat to watch.

But it was short-lived. A car turned the corner, and before Dobie could move out of the way, it hit him. The yelp pierced the night and rendered my heart in two as I watched him roll helplessly. The car screeched to a halt and the driver got out hurriedly.

He and I reached Dobie at the same time. Dobie straightened up but was unable to stand. He was whimpering.

“Oh Dobie! Are you okay?” I asked running my hand gently over his body.

Suddenly Dobie winced. “Here, he is injured here!” the man exclaimed. I didn’t realise the man was had also been checking for injuries. “I know a vet nearby. Help me carry him,” he said and got up.

He was gentle as he picked up my fully grown Doberman from one end. Together we took Dobie to the back of the car, and without a thought about Dobie’s injured leg messing his car, the man laid him on the seat. “Sit with him…”

I sat obediently, thinking only of the pain Dobie was in.

We reached a darkened house. He ran out after parking the car by the side and rang the doorbell. A few seconds later, the lights came on and someone opened the door. The man must have briefly explained the matter for soon the vet, presumably, and the man started walking towards the car. Between them, they carried Dobie in and I had to wait outside as the vet worked on Dobie. The man stayed with me, and finally apologised.

“No, it was my fault. I should have expected something like this,” I replied. “But thanks for helping me out. You don’t have to wait,” I added, not very graciously.

“I will drop you back,” he said simply, ignoring my taunt.

“I will manage,” I retorted but he chose not to respond.

Now that Dobie had quietened, I was upset with the man as well as myself. I wish I could blame him for the accident and give vent to my feelings. But I felt responsible too.

A while later, the doctor came and told the man, “Needed a small surgery. He is under general anaesthetic so let him sleep here. Will let you know by morning. Nothing major though.”

“Leave Dobie here! No!” I butted in upset and angry.

The doctor looked at me surprised. Then, realising Dobie was mine, he said, “Nothing to worry about. You can peep in. He is fine and comfortable. Please meet me tomorrow by around 10.”

I looked at the man helplessly. He put a hand on my shoulder and nodded reassuringly. “That is the best.”

He turned to the doctor, “How much?”

“It’s okay, Gautam. We can discuss this in the morning.”

“Please let me know how much I should pay,” I said, waking up to the practical requirements of the situation.

He quoted a sum and I nodded. “I will pay when I come in the morning. I will be able to take Dobie with me, right?”


“I should think so. But let’s not decide now,” the doctor put me off.

For the next chapter, click here

1 comment:

  1. Not very Graciously. A gracious way of putting the unhappy mood.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...