Friday, March 11, 2016

Dobie and Me: Chapter 14

For those who came in late, the short serial Dobie and Me begins here

Click here For Chapter 13

“How did it go?” Gautam asked me on the phone later in the evening.

I started crying. “Bad,” I whispered.

“Do you want me to come over?” he asked softly. But I knew his mother was not doing well and he had to be home. Also, I didn’t want my sons to see him right now. They were out, but I expected them back anytime.

“No,” I said hoarsely.


“So, tell me…”

“It’s okay,” I said. “I will deal with it.”

He said soothingly, “I am sure…”

“They were upset!” I cried out, unable to contain myself any longer. Dobie looked up at me woefully.

“What else did you expect?” he asked.

“Not like this!” I absent-mindedly petted Dobie and he whimpered.

“Give them time. It’s not easy, not… something they expect.”

I had to concede. His calmness communicated itself to me. “They think I am a fool.”

He laughed. “Smart boys. They take after their father…?”

“Please, Gautam!” I cried out in despair.

“It is good they are looking out for you!” he reminded me gently.

“What do you think I should do?” I asked, fearing his response.

He replied solemnly. “Whatever you think is the best.”

“Help me, Gautam, tell me, please! It affects you too, or doesn’t it?” I asked anger and doubt entering my voice.

“Mahek,” he said in a way that tugged at my heartstrings. “This dilemma is not just about us, but your sons too.”

“Be selfish!” I raged like a mad woman. “Demand something of me! Don’t be so down-to-earth,” I said shamelessly.

He laughed. “You are distraught. Mahek, both of us are bound to our situations. You accepted mine, I accept yours. This is about your family. Only you know what is best for you, for us, and them …”

“Please!” I said, unwilling to be pacified. “Spare me the lecture.”

“Look,” he started in that tone that promised more inanities. I cut the call. He pinged me, “I will be awake. If you need me, let me know.”

I wanted to rush to him. “Thanks,” I replied curtly, trying to maintain my dignity.

“Don’t use tears to blackmail your sons,” was his next message. What gall!


And a tad too late, I thought ruefully.

Click here for the next chapter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...